Date:	Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:40:04 -0800
From:	Vara Prasad <prasadav@...ibm.com>
To:	Alan <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
CC:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>, Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...l.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, discuss@...-64.org,
	SystemTAP <systemtap@...rces.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [2.6.19 patch] i386/x86_64: remove the unused	EXPORT_SYMBOL(dump_trace)

Alan wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:18:44 +0000
>Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org> wrote:

>>>I exported it for systemtap so that they can stop using the broken
>>>hack they currently use as unwinder.
>>>

>>Nack, dump_trace is nothing that should be export for broken out of tree
>>junk.
>>

>It is exported for systemtap not random broken out of tree junk, and the
>result is a good deal prettier. Systemtap guys really ought to get their
>stuff merged too, although how we merge a dynamic module writing tool I'm
>not so sure ?

As you all know SystemTap uses kprobes and relayfs as the basis which
are already merged into the mainline.
We are looking at all the other pieces of SystemTap that can be merged
to mainline but as Alan mentioned it is not easy and obvious. We think
we can merge transport part of the runtime, here is the initial patch
under review in this thread
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q4/msg00031.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q4/msg00030.html

We are open for other suggestions as well.

bye,
Vara Prasad