Date:	Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:20:53 -0800
From:	Rohit Seth <rohitseth@...gle.com>
To:	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>
Cc:	Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@...washington.edu>,
	Paul Menage <menage@...gle.com>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>
Subject: Re: [Patch1/4]: fake numa for x86_64 patch

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 21:34 +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Rohit Seth wrote:

> >> That is a problem because the ranges must be registered with
> >> add_active_range() to work out how much real RAM is present.
> >>

> > Right.  And that is why I need e820_hole_size functionality. BTW, what
> > is the concern in having that function?
> >

> Because it provides almost identical functionality to another function. If
> that can be avoided, it's preferable.

There are subtle difference in the way two function can be used.  They
are operating in two different environments. absent_pages work when
memory layout is already registered.  The e820_hole_size is the (low
level arch dependent) function that will be used to find out how the
memory lay out is going to be set for the cases when kernel has to
itself decide about the layout.

-rohit