Date:	Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:24:34 -0800 (PST)
From:	Daniel Walker <dwalker@...sta.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
cc:	Lee Revell <rlrevell@...-job.com>,
	Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@...ma.Stanford.EDU>,
	"Linux-Kernel," <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 2.6.19-rc6-rt8: alsa xruns

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> please talk to John and Thomas about GTOD interfaces. Right now the
> solution used by the latency tracer is working out pretty OK - but if
> something better comes along i can use that too. It's not a burning
> issue though, unless you know of some bug. (i'm not sure what you mean
> by it becoming constrictive)

It doesn't appear to handle clock switching, so for instance, if generic
time switches from the tsc, to the acpi_pm would the latency tracer
tolerate it ? Also a combination of HRT enabled, and a faulty acpi_pm
would cause the tracer to use the PIT .. The PIT takes spinlocks during
it's read so I'd imgaine the system would crash, or something else not so
good.

Also with HRT enabled, you would end up using the acpi_pm even if the TSC
is stable which is slower ..

That's what I mean when I say constrictive .

I've been working with John and Thomas to make the clocksource more
usable (and lots of cleanups),

ftp://source.mvista.com/pub/dwalker/clocksource/clocksource-v8/

Daniel