Date:	Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:23:54 -0800
From:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>
To:	"J.H." <warthog9@...nel.org>
CC:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>, Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, hpa@...or.com,
	webmaster@...nel.org
Subject: Re: [KORG] Re: kernel.org lies about latest -mm kernel

J.H. wrote:
> The problem has been hashed over quite a bit recently, and I would be
> curious what you would consider the real problem after you see the
> situation.

OK, thanks for the summary.

> The root cause boils down to with git, gitweb and the normal mirroring
> on the frontend machines our basic working set no longer stays resident
> in memory, which is forcing more and more to actively go to disk causing
> a much higher I/O load.  You have the added problem that one of the
> frontend machines is getting hit harder than the other due to several
> factors: various DNS servers not round robining, people explicitly
> hitting [git|mirrors|www|etc]1 instead of 2 for whatever reason and
> probably several other factors we aren't aware of.  This has caused the
> average load on that machine to hover around 150-200 and if for whatever
> reason we have to take one of the machines down the load on the
> remaining machine will skyrocket to 2000+.
>
> Since it's apparent not everyone is aware of what we are doing, I'll
> mention briefly some of the bigger points.
>
> - We have contacted HP to see if we can get additional hardware, mind
> you though this is a long term solution and will take time, but if our
> request is approved it will double the number of machines kernel.org
> runs.
>
> - Gitweb is causing us no end of headache, there are (known to me
> anyway) two different things happening on that.  I am looking at Jeff
> Garzik's suggested caching mechanism as a temporary stop-gap, with an
> eye more on doing a rather heavy re-write of gitweb itself to include
> semi-intelligent caching.  I've already started in on the later - and I
> just about have the caching layer put in.  But this is still at least a
> week out before we could even remotely consider deploying it.
>
> - We've cut back on the number of ftp and rsync users to the machines.
> Basically we are cutting back where we can in an attempt to keep the
> load from spiraling out of control, this helped a bit when we recently
> had to take one of the machines down and instead of loads spiking into
> the 2000+ range we peaked at about 500-600 I believe.
>
> So we know the problem is there, and we are working on it - we are
> getting e-mails about it if not daily than every other day or so.  If
> there are suggestions we are willing to hear them - but the general
> feeling with the admins is that we are probably hitting the biggest
> problems already.

I have (or had) no insight into the problem analysis, just that there
is a big problem.  Fortunately you and others know that too and
are working on it.

You asked what I (or anyone) would consider the real problem.
I can't really say since I have no performance/profile data to base
it on.  There has been some noise about (not) providing mirror services
for distros.  Is that a big cpu/memory consumer?  If so, then is that
something that kernel.org could shed over some N (6 ?) months?
I understand not dropping it immediately, but it seems to be more of
a convenience rather than something related to kernel development.

--
~Randy