Date:	Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:11:17 +0100
From:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
To:	Thomas Hellström <thomas@...gstengraphics.com>
Cc:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>, Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>,
	Linux Kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [patch 1/2] agpgart - allow user-populated memory types.

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 13:47 +0100, Thomas Hellström wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> >>A short background:
> >>The current code uses vmalloc only. The potential use of kmalloc was
> >>introduced
> >>to save memory and cpu-speed.
> >>All agp drivers expect to see a single memory chunk, so I'm not sure we
> >>want to have an array of pages. That may require rewriting a lot of code.
> >>

> >but if it's clearly the right thing.....
> >How hard can it be? there are what.. 5 or 6 AGP drivers in the kernel?
> >

> Hmm,
> but we would still waste a lot of memory compared to kmalloc,

surely it's at most 4Kb for the entire system?

(if agp allows the non-root user to pin a lot more than that in kernel
memory there is a different problem of rlimits ;)

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org