Date:	Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:58:43 -0800
From:	"Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@...el.com>
To:	"'Andrew Morton'" <akpm@...l.org>, <linux-aio@...ck.org>
Cc:	"'Trond Myklebust'" <trond.myklebust@....uio.no>,
	"'xb'" <xavier.bru@...l.net>,
	"'Zach Brown'" <zach.brown@...cle.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [patch] aio: fix buggy put_ioctx call in aio_complete

Andrew Morton wrote on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:06 PM
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:49:18 -0800
> "Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@...el.com> wrote:
> > Regarding to a bug report on:
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=116599593200888&w=2
> >
> > flush_workqueue() is not allowed to be called in the softirq context.
> > However, aio_complete() called from I/O interrupt can potentially call
> > put_ioctx with last ref count on ioctx and trigger a bug warning.  It
> > is simply incorrect to perform ioctx freeing from aio_complete.
> >
> > This patch removes all duplicate ref counting for each kiocb as
> > reqs_active already used as a request ref count for each active ioctx.
> > This also ensures that buggy call to flush_workqueue() in softirq
> > context is eliminated. wait_for_all_aios currently will wait on last
> > active kiocb.  However, it is racy.  This patch also tighten it up
> > by utilizing rcu synchronization mechanism to ensure no further
> > reference to ioctx before put_ioctx function is run.
>
> hrm, maybe.  Does this count as "abuse of the RCU interfaces".  Or "reuse"?

Yeah, it's abuse.

Problem is in wait_for_all_aios(), it is checking wait status without
properly holding an ioctx lock. Perhaps, this patch is walking on thin
ice.  It abuses rcu over a buggy code. OTOH, I really don't want to hold
ctx_lock over the entire wakeup call at the end of aio_complete:

        if (waitqueue_active(&ctx->wait))
                wake_up(&ctx->wait);

I'm worried about longer lock hold time in aio_complete and potentially
increase lock contention for concurrent I/O completion.  A quick look
at lockmeter data I had on a 4 socket system (with dual core + HT), it
already showing signs of substantial lock contention in aio_complete.
I'm afraid putting the above call inside ioctx_lock will make things
worse.

And synchronize_rcu fits the bill perfectly: aio_complete sets wakeup
status, drop ioctx_lock, do the wakeup call all protected inside rcu
lock.  Then wait_for_all_aios will just wait for all that sequence to
complete before it proceed with __put_ioctx().  All nice and easy.