Date:	Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:27:58 +0100
From:	"Remy Bohmer" <l.pinguin@...il.com>
To:	"Dries Kimpe" <Dries.Kimpe@....kuleuven.be>
Cc:	mingo@...e.hu, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG-RT] RTC has been stopped-> long delay during boot, soft reboot->GRUB fails to call getrtsecs()

Hello All,

Thanks to the hint of Dries, I discovered that there was a difference
in my kernel configuration and the kernel configuration of Ingo
I streamlined my configuration to that of Ingo, and now the slow boot
issue is completely gone. I do not understand the exact relation, but
it works for me.

Thanks to you all.

FYI: Attached I have put the differences I had to make to make it work.

Kind Regards,

Remy Bohmer

2007/1/5, Remy Bohmer <l.pinguin@...il.com>:
> Hello Dries,
>
> Thanks for your reply, but as it looks a lot like the same problem, I
> want to mention that we do NOT have a Dell system here. It is a
> Fujitsu Siemens i945 motherboard. I also saw the problem about "long
> delays during boot by hwclock" on an old i845 Kontron Motherboard,
> running the same installation/kernel as I mentioned, which we were
> using for years and never showed this problems until we start using
> this kernel. The RTC clock that was stopped is only seen twice on this
> Fujitsu siemens board, not on any other.
>
> So, as it is not a Dell system ,and we therefor have a different BIOS,
> I doubt it is BIOS related. Further, I discovered that the problem
> also occured in a system that is not tickless. I can therefor exclude
> now that it is NOT related to the CONFIG_NO_HZ option, despite what I
> mentioned in my previous mail.
>
> In my case it also was NO battery problem, but removing the battery
> was the only way to reset the RTC to get it ticking again.
>
> We have enabled HPET in BIOS and kernel.
>
> I have tested the 2.6.20rc3-rt0 kernel of Ingo (as he suggested) by
> booting it a few times, and until now we have not seen this problem,
> but the long term will learn if it is really gone.
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> Remy Böhmer
>

> 2007/1/5, Dries Kimpe <Dries.Kimpe@....kuleuven.be>:
> >
> > I found this mail on the LKML.org list, and didn't want to bother to
> > subscribe to the list, so I post this directly. Sorry ;-)
> >
> > I'm suspecting the problem is not related to the rt-kernel at all.
> >
> > This looks like a well known (but no real solution as far as I know)
> > DELL bios problem.
> >
> > * Somehow, the RTC gets corrupted and stops counting.
> > * On recent dell laptops (D420, a.o.) the BIOS sometimes checks the
> > clock (everytime a thorough BIOS check is done)
> > and just stops with the message "time-of-day clock stopped" (look for
> > this on google); On some systems, one can enter the BIOS setup at this
> > point,
> > causing the bios to reset the clock and solving the problem. On others
> > (like the D420), the only problem is to make the B IOS reinitialize the
> > clock.
> >
> > * Once the clock is corrupted, it never runs again (some say a reboot in
> > XP can solve it);
> >  It is NOT a battery problem. Just disconnecting the battery, causing
> > the BIOS to reinitialize NVRAM solves the problem.
> >
> > I use to have this problem on my D420, and it seemed to go away by:
> > - disabling the RTC interrupt in the kernel
> > - enabling the HPET timer RTC emulation
> >
> > More info:
> > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176954
> > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=149565
> > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/43745
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> >  Greetings,
> >  Dries

> [...]

View attachment "config.diff" of type "text/plain" (1919 bytes)