Date:	Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:08:57 -0500
From:	lsorense@...lub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
To:	Trent Waddington <trent.waddington@...il.com>
Cc:	Dirk <d_i_r_k_@....net>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Gaming Interface

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:16:51PM +1000, Trent Waddington wrote:
> We're totally off topic now, but what the hell.. You wanna encourage
> ports?  Write a step by step guide on how to most easily port a modern
> game from Windows to Linux.  My suggestion would be to use winelib and
> include all the workarounds needed to make the game compatible with
> the DirectX support in wine.

Why not start by suggesting using standard api's instead when writing
the original game engine.  That would make porting it easier later.
DirectX is not a standard api.

> As far as I'm aware, there is no such guide, so if a games company was
> to decide to port their game to Linux (for whatever whacky reason)
> they wouldn't even know how much work they have ahead of them.

Well Bioware managed to port neverwinters nights using SDL without that
much dificulty by the looks of it, although it already had opengl in
use.  I believe that is how they did the mac port too.

--
Len Sorensen