Date:	Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:30:39 +0100
From:	Richard Knutsson <ricknu-0@...dent.ltu.se>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [RFC] How to (automatically) find the correct maintainer(s)

Hello all

Would like to come with a suggestion I have been wondering about for a
while, why not add the config-flag, used in Kconfig/Makefile in the
MAINTAINERS-file?

By doing this, there would not be any confusion who to send a patch,
since all "files" is defined under a flag, right? (when it is a
header-file, it can be grep'ed on the c-files and from the hit find the
flag)

So, with a MAINTAINERS-entry like:

SUPERCOOL ALPHA CARD

P:	Clark Kent
M:	superman@...pton.kr
L:	some@...ng.com
C:	SUPER_A
S:	Maintained
(C: for CONFIG. Any better idea?)

then if someone changes a file who are built with CONFIG_SUPER_A, can
easily backtrack it to the correct maintainer(s). And because there is
no question how to find the correct maintainer, a script can do it for
us. This is something that would be really useful for Kernel-Janitors
when doing big cleanups all over the kernel (see ex pci_module_init to
pci_register_driver and standardize the tree to use macros from
include/linux/kernel.h).
By this, I believe trivial patch-series would be reduced from the lkml
when they can automatically be sent to the maintainer (and maybe
specified mailing-list).

My first idea was to use the pathway and define that directories above
the specified (if not specified by another) would fall to the current
maintainer. It would work, but requires that all pathways be specified
at once, or a few maintainers with "short" pathways would get much of
the patches (and it is not as correct/easy to maintain as looking for
the CONFIG_flag).

Any thoughts on this is very much appreciated (is there any flaws with
this?).

Richard Knutsson