Date:	Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:50:01 -0600
From:	Mark Rustad <mrustad@...il.com>
To:	Andrew Walrond <andrew@...rond.org>
Cc:	Olaf Hering <olaf@...fle.de>,
	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ux01.gwdg.de>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Initramfs and /sbin/hotplug fun

On Jan 15, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Andrew Walrond wrote:

> Olaf Hering wrote:
>> Why do you need /sbin/hotplug anyway, just for firmware loading for a
>> non-modular kernel?
>
> I guess this is unusual, but FWIW...
>
> I have a custom distro and I was just looking for the easiest way
> to create a bootable rescue pen-drive. So I just took a working
> distro, added an init->sbin/init symlink, cpio'ed it into an
> initramfs, and booted it up. Works a treat, except for the early
> hotplug calls.

I have a kernel that needs to have early hotplug calls to load
firmware. I just rolled my own simple hotplug scripts to only address
that issue and have not had a problem since. The mdev in busybox that
is in the gentoo initramfs didn't seem to be able to handle it, so I
just made my own scripts. In my case I needed QLogic firmware so root
could be on FC.

FWIW, it is a real PITA to not be able to build a monolithic kernel
that can bring up root on its own. I will stipulate that I am an old-
school guy that likes monolithic kernels, but I do feel that
something has been lost. Yes, I am aware of the reasons for the
change, else I would have written something when I was fighting the
battle, but I still don't have to like it.

--
Mark Rustad, MRustad@....com