Date:	Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:25:11 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>
Cc:	rmk+lkml@....linux.org.uk, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch] fix emergency reboot: call reboot notifier list if possible

* Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org> wrote:

> Making it dependent upon CONFIG_PREEMPT seems a bit sucky.  Perhaps
> pass in some "you were called from /proc/sysrq-trigger" notification?

looks quite invasive to the whole sysrq interfaces, it trickles all the
way down into sysrq.c's handler prototype, affecting 20 prototypes.
Worth the trouble?

> Also, there are ways of telling if the kernel has oopsed (oops
> counter, oops_in_progress, etc) which should perhaps be tested.

i'm not sure. Should we perhaps forget this patch and only do the
i386/x86_64 VMX patch i sent?

> Or just learn to type `reboot -fn' ;)

well, emergency_reboot() might also be called from panic(), if someone
sets panic_timeout, resulting in a similar hang. It might be called from
a serial console on a soft-locked-up system, having no physical access
to the system. Having a hung reboot in that scenario is not really
productive.

	Ingo