Date:	Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:53:43 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...l.org>, Viktor <vvp01@...ox.ru>,
	Aubrey <aubreylee@...il.com>, Hua Zhong <hzhong@...il.com>,
	Hugh Dickins <hugh@...itas.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	hch@...radead.org, kenneth.w.chen@...el.com, akpm@...l.org
Subject:  Re: O_DIRECT question

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> Well, I too currently work with Oracle.
> Apparently people who wrote damn thing have very, eh, Oracle-centric
> world-view. "We want direct writes to the disk. Period." Why? Does it
> makes sense? Are there better ways? - nothing. They think they know better.

I fear you are taking the Windows approach, that the computer is there
to serve the o/s and applications have to do things the way the o/s
wants. As opposed to the UNIX way, where you can either be clever or
stupid, the o/s is there to allow you to use the hardware, not be your
mother.

Currently applications have the option of letting the o/s make decisions
  via open/read/write, or let the o/s make decisions and tell the
application via aio, or using O_DIRECT and having full control over the
process. And that's exactly as it should be. It's not up to the o/s to
be mother.

> (And let's not even start on why oracle ignores SIGTERM. Apparently Unix
> rules aren't for them. They're too big to play by rules.)

Any process can ignore SIGTERM, or do a significant amount of cleanup
before exit()ing. Complex operations need to be completed or unwound.
Why select Oracle? Other applications may also do that, with more or
less valid reasons.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>