Date:	Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:43:22 -0500
From:	Phillip Susi <psusi@....rr.com>
To:	Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux@...glemail.com>
CC:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>, Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...l.org>, Viktor <vvp01@...ox.ru>,
	Aubrey <aubreylee@...il.com>, Hua Zhong <hzhong@...il.com>,
	Hugh Dickins <hugh@...itas.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	hch@...radead.org
Subject: Re: O_DIRECT question

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> I still don't see much difference between O_SYNC and O_DIRECT write
> semantic.

Yes, if you change the normal io paths to properly support playing
vmsplice games ( which have a number of corner cases ) to get the zero
copy, and support madvise() and O_SYNC to control caching behavior, and
fix all the error handling corner cases, then you may be able to do away
with O_DIRECT.

I believe that doing all that will be much more complex than O_DIRECT
however.