Date:	Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:31:14 -0800
From:	"Pallipadi, Venkatesh" <venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com>
To:	"Joe Harvell" <jharvell@...pad.net>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: ACPI C and P states on Conroe

C0 is the state when processor is executing instruction.
C1-C3 is the state that kernel puts the CPU into when there is nothing
to run (idle loop).
C1 is supported by all processors and it is entered either by using
"hlt" or "mwait" instructions. You don't have to do anything to enable
this. It should be getting used already (unless you are using
"idle=poll" in which case C1 will not be used).
C2 and C3 however are not supported on all processors/platforms
typically. If it is supported, BIOS will export these states information
to OS, through ACPI and kernel acpi processor module will enable those
states. As long as you have CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR enabled, this support
will be built in and should get enabled (if your platform supports this
feature). There are no magic setup to enable this. If present, you will
see info about these C-states here - /proc/acpi/processor/CPU*/power

-Venki