Date:	Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:20:40 -0800
From:	Gerrit Huizenga <gh@...ibm.com>
To:	Jes Sorensen <jes@....com>
cc:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@...l.com>,
	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, ksummit-2007-discuss@...nk.org,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>,
	alan@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:49:11 +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Gerrit mentioned that half the committee shows up to be dead weight when
> it comes down to the crunch at the end, so if this is the case, does it
> really make sense to keep said members on the committee? LCA had how
> many proposals? they handled it with a 7-8 member group I believe, and
> yes I know Rusty did bitch about having to read a couple of hundred
> papers, but they did pretty darn well.

I believe in that same post, I pointed out that throughout the prep
period, all members *did* have a valuable contribution.  Don't use half
the info to make a point, please.

And for paper & proposal reviews, also having been on the OLS program
committee for several years, I can guarantee you that these are two different
birds.  Paper proposals are more static, have a more or less intrinsic
value that you can assess at a single reading.  KS is *much* more dynamic,
and would be just another conference if it weren't.  KS is about current
issues, and actions to address those issues.  The *actions* part is a lot
harder than the paper reading portion.  Don't confused KS with a conference;
it is a workshop for a very, very large, very very active project.

gerrit