Date:	Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Frédéric Riss <frederic.riss@...il.com>
cc:	Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@...l.com>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>,
	Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@...il.com>,
	Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@....uio.no>,
	Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Subject: Re: 2.6.20-rc7: known regressions

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Frédéric Riss wrote:

> New patch:

I didn't get how this would fix the ia64 issues? I thought ia64 needed
the standard calling convention?

My gut feel is that EFI should be handled exactly the same way that we
used to handle APM: never even make it look like it's callable from C, but
make architecture-specific wrapper functions that have bog-standard
calling conventions, and then possibly even use inline asm to actually do
the real call (but even if you don't, at that point it would be inside one
particular arch-specific EFI source file - nobody outside of that would
ever call into the firmware directly).

As it is, I don't think I dare apply this right now, which means that it
will miss 2.6.20, and we'll have to backport it to the stable tree when
everybody agrees and has acked it. I don't like having suspend broken on
EFI macs, but on the other hand, I would hate to have an ia64 regression
even more..

		Linus