Date:	Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:49:38 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
Subject: Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 13:28 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Right. Because for MOST scsi drivers, it's obvious that they are SCSI to
> > the user.
>
> Really? Including the 'Scanner driver' card which arrived with my
> scanner?

Can you read? Can you UNDERSTAND?

This is exactly my point.

If it's not obviously a SCSI card, then it shouldn't be "depends on SCSI".
It should be on its own and "select SCSI".

The whole AND ALMOST ONLY point of "depends on" is really to allow people
to do a shorthand or know that "ok, he gave us some information that makes
this choice pointless".

And yes, we've messed that up. But you're apparently arguing that the
mess-up is something "good".

"select" is _good_. Because it's the thing that avoids us having to ask
totally inane questions THAT DO NOT MAKE SENSE to a user.

It's totally idiotic that we should ask people for SCSI support. That's
not a user question, unless we're talking "odd-ball obviously SCSI
devices", and then the question actually makes sense as a way to allow 99%
of all users to say "nope" and not have to see another million questions
that aren't relevant to them.

			Linus