Date:	Wed, 7 Feb 2007 07:41:33 -0800
From:	"Lombard, David N" <dnlombar@...ips.intel.com>
To:	Horms <horms@...ge.net.au>
Cc:	"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@...dspring.com>, fastboot@...l.org,
	Judith Lebzelter <judith@...l.org>, ebiederm@...ssion.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Fastboot] [ PATCH ] fix to documentation for kexec

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 04:33:16PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:25:04PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Judith Lebzelter wrote:
> > >
> > > -* "init 1" boots the dump-capture kernel into single-user mode without
> > > -  networking. If you want networking, use "init 3."
> > > +* Boot parameter "1" boots the dump-capture kernel into single-user mode
> > > +  without networking. If you want networking, use "3".
> >
> > i'm not sure you want to totally remove those first two lines, they
> > appear to talk about getting to run level 1 *from a running system*.
>
> I think that it is refering to a kernel command line parameter,
> not a shell command executed on a running system, so I think the patch
> is correct in that respect.

Agree with removing the "init" word.  A single digit is assumed by the kernel
to be the run level.

Also, given the variability of those values, leave the current documentation
at levels 1 and 3.

BTW, the "init" keyword, *with* a value, specifies an alternate init process
binary, e.g,, the default is "init=/sbin/init"

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.