Date:	Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:52:05 +0100
From:	Eric Lacombe <tuxiko@...e.fr>
To:	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	Eric Lacombe <tuxiko@...e.fr>
Subject: Linux 2.6.19.2: maybe a bug inside the r8169 network driver (was Re: Linux 2.6.19.2: Freeze with CIFS mount)

Hello,

I resend my email with a more appropriated title, following the brief
discussion with Steve French.

It seems possible that my problem is related to a bug inside the r8169 network
driver.

Information follows. If someone need more information to figure out how the
problem could be fixed, I would do my best to answer.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

	Eric Lacombe

---------------

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 04:51:35 Steve French wrote:
> The cifs entries in the dmesg log do not indicate any errors, much less
> show the cause of this
> particular problem.

ok.

> The repeated entry:
>         CIFS VFS: Send error in SETFSUnixInfo = -5
> is expected on connection to certain older versions of Samba servers (or
> other servers that
> only partially support the current CIFS Unix Extensions).  It is harmless.
>
> It would be useful to know (e.g. if it is possible to trace the network
> traffic on the server side on your NAS box) whether
> any network traffic from the client is being sent when (or just before)
> the hang occurs.

Unfortunately, I can't easily do stuff on the NAS box other than what it was
provided for. (An interesting project exists about the first version of the
Maxtor Shared Storage : openmss, but this one is based on a totally different
hardware).

> It is possible that the restarting of the NAS box allows reconnection of
> the smb/cifs session to proceed
> which presumably could be hanging or looping in the network adapter
> driver, the tcp stack or cifs on
> the client, but it is hard to tell without more information.   I don't
> know much about either of the
> GigE drivers loaded on your system to determine if there is an easy way to
> tell their state.

The network device I use is :
"D-Link System Inc DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 10)",

and the driver used is the one for "Realtek 8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet adapter"
(in the 2.6.19.2) which is the only one that recognizes this device.

That problem also remind me that when I compiled this driver without
the "CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET" (in the section "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)"), I have
really poor performance with the net device. Maybe it is related, or not ;)

If it gives you more ideas ?
Maybe it could be interesting to know about the r8169 maintainer, but I dont
know who he is.

> There are various ways to analyze system hangs including (at least in some
> cases) getting a system dump which
> can be used to isolate the failing location - hopefully

I would like to have more detailed help, if possible.

Thanks.

	Eric

> linux-kernel-owner@...r.kernel.org wrote on 01/30/2007 06:37:48 AM:

[...]

> Steve French
> Senior Software Engineer
> Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
> phone: 512-838-2294
> email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com
>
> -

View attachment "dotconfig" of type "text/plain" (42324 bytes)

View attachment "lspci" of type "text/plain" (1880 bytes)

View attachment "cifslog" of type "text/plain" (13925 bytes)