Date:	Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:04:03 -0500
From:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
To:	v j <vj.linux@...il.com>
Cc:	Trent Waddington <trent.waddington@...il.com>,
	David Lang <david.lang@...italinsight.com>,
	Scott Preece <sepreece@...il.com>,
	Miguel Ojeda <maxextreme@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:25:12PM -0800, v j wrote:
> >It's written in black and white, in the license.
>
> Please point me to where it says I cannot load proprietary modules in
> the Kernel.

It doesn't, but EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL makes it quite clear what you can not do if
you are not a GPL module.

> > Apart from that,
> >Greg KH has made his opinion clear, and you have said you understand
> >and don't debate that he holds this opinion, and his code is what you
> >said you were linking to (the sysfs/class stuff), so why do you keep
> >saying that "it is not clear".
>
> I know his opinion. I don't debate his opinion. It is his code. I
> choose not to use his code because of the license issue.

Then choose not to use it and move on, rather than lamenting the fact that
your life is more difficult because of his decision

> >Do you think that, somehow, Linus' opinion trumps Greg KH's opinion on
> >his own code?
>
> No, just that the trend is disturbing. If enough Kernel Developers
> choose to write their Software in a way that prevents others from
> using it freely, then that is troubling. Especially when these Kernel
> Developers are substituting existing interfaces in the Kernel with
> ones that are NEW and require specific licenses.

Its disturbing to you, and you alone.  If you stopped using Linux today because
of this, no one would miss you.  If enough like-minded people did this, you
would all be using your business model, and th F/OSS community would continue on
its way.  You appear to think that the community relies on people who make
drivers in you're model, and thats simply not the case.

Neil