Date:	Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:19:48 +0000
From:	Richard Purdie <rpurdie@...ys.net>
To:	Yaroslav Halchenko <kernel@...russian.com>,
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-fbdev-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: no backlight on radeon after recent kernel "upgrade"s

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 00:04 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:46:16 -0500 Yaroslav Halchenko <kernel@...russian.com> wrote:
> > Since the most recent successful for me kernel 2.6.19-rc6-mm1, I've
> > tried few times to build more recent snapshots and now finally
> > 2.6.20-mm2. In all those cases I have a sad outcome -- kernel boots but
> > at some point during boot (few moments after Penguin icon in the top left
> > corner appears), light turns off... I still can see something, especially
> > if I light a strong flashlight at a sharp angle.
> >
> > I've enabled back-light support and lcd support for those unsuccessful
> > kernels (with all backlight support features disabled kernel boots
> > ok and backlight shines as bright as always)
> >
> > All my changes of values for files under
> > /sys/class/backlight/radeonbl0
> > had no impact on the screen. Also I had no files under /sys/class/lcd.
> >
> > Running
> > radeontool light off
> > caused complete turning off of LCD - I could not see
> > anything anymore.
> >
> > sony's spictl -b had no effect as well.
> >
> > Config can be found at
> > http://www.onerussian.com/Linux/bugs/nobacklight.1/config-2.6.20-mm2
> > lshw
> > http://www.onerussian.com/Linux/bugs/nobacklight.1/lshw
> > other details are available from
> > http://www.onerussian.com/Linux/bugs/nobacklight.1/
> >
> > Could you please advise?
>
> (cc's added)
>
> Is 2.6.20 broken?  I assume the latest 2.6.20-gitN snapshot are failing..

It would be extremely useful to know which kernel versions you tested
and which ones failed. There are a number of backlight changes which are
just in 2.6.20-mm1 and -mm2 which it would be useful to rule out or
identify as the cause.

Also, do you normally see files under /sys/class/lcd?

Regards,

Richard