Date:	Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:21:16 +0000
From:	Russell King <rmk+lkml@....linux.org.uk>
To:	Rob Prowel <prowel@...hera.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: questions about 8250 uart support for adhoc boards

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:05:48PM -0500, Rob Prowel wrote:
> At least now, with fourport compiled into the kernel,

You don't even need to do that.  Just configure SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS
and SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS appropriately for your system.  There's
absolutely no need to build any of the additional modules.

> I can use
> setserial to see the uarts and correctly identify them...but the shared
> interrupt vector doesn't seem to work.  I haven't even attempted yet to
> try stty or echoing data our to an o-scope.

I dropped support for the shared interrupt vector - having multiple
different ISRs depending on the way the wind was blowing was extremely
complex, and in this day and age of GHz CPUs rather silly.

The serial driver can still share interrupts just fine.  Just omit
configuring the multiport address and masks.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: