Date:	Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:52:36 -0600
From:	Maynard Johnson <maynardj@...ibm.com>
To:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
CC:	linuxppc-dev@...abs.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	cbe-oss-dev@...abs.org, oprofile-list@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	Gerhard Stenzel <gerhard.stenzel@...ibm.com>,
	Mike Perks <mperks@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH] CELL Oprofile SPU profiling updated
 patch

I have applied the "cleanup" patch that Arnd sent, but had to fix up a
few things:
   -  Bug fix:  Initialize retval in spu_task_sync.c, line 95, otherwise
OProfile this function returns non-zero and OProfile fails.
   -  Remove unused codes in include/linux/oprofile.h
   -  Compile warnings:  Initialize offset and spu_cookie at lines 283
and 284 in spu_task_sync.c

With these changes and some userspace changes that were necessary to
correspond with Arnd's changes, our testing was successful.

A fixup patch is attached.

P.S.  We have a single patch with all these changes applied if anyone
would like us to post it.

-Maynard

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>On Thursday 22 February 2007, Carl Love wrote:
>

>>This patch updates the existing arch/powerpc/oprofile/op_model_cell.c
>>to add in the SPU profiling capabilities.  In addition, a 'cell' subdirectory
>>was added to arch/powerpc/oprofile to hold Cell-specific SPU profiling
>>code.
>>

>There was a significant amount of whitespace breakage in this patch,
>which I cleaned up. The patch below consists of the other things
>I changed as a further cleanup. Note that I changed the format
>of the context switch record, which I found too complicated, as
>I described on IRC last week.
>
>	Arnd <><

View attachment "fixups-to-arnd-oprof_spu.patch" of type "text/x-diff" (1417 bytes)