Date:	Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:51:50 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	Patrick Ale <patrick.ale@...il.com>
CC:	Michael-Luke Jones <jonesml@...tmail.to>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [QUESTION] Sata RAID

Patrick Ale wrote:
> On 2/24/07, Patrick Ale <patrick.ale@...il.com> wrote:
>> On 2/24/07, Michael-Luke Jones <jonesml@...tmail.to> wrote:
>
> One more question regarding this, I am aware its not *really* kernel
> related but answering this question now will save yourself a lot of
> bogus emails from me about MD oopses later and all, and I want to
> setup my disks right once and for all and never witness what I
> witnessed last weeks with my ATA disks.
>
> Would you use MD at all, taking in account the disks come from the
> same batch and all? I hear these things about MD/RAID being pointless
> when you use disks from the same brand/type/batch since they most
> likely will break shortly after each other.

Well, for values of "shortly" in months in most cases. These are
consumer goods, I would not expect units with consecutive serial numbers
to fail separated by such a short time that you can't do a backup and/or
replace and rebuild. If quality control were so good they are likely to
fail at the same time it would be so good they would be obsolete before
they failed.

That urban myth is a good reason to do backups, but a bad reason to
avoid RAID.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>