Date:	Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:23:23 +0300
From:	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>, Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@....com.au>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Zach Brown <zach.brown@...cle.com>,
	Suparna Bhattacharya <suparna@...ibm.com>,
	Davide Libenzi <davidel@...ilserver.org>,
	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 03:47:17PM +0100, Ingo Molnar (mingo@...e.hu) wrote:

> * Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru> wrote:
>
> > CPU: AMD64 processors, speed 2210.08 MHz (estimated)
> > Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Cycles outside of halt state) with a unit mask of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 100000
> > samples  %        symbol name
> > 195750   67.3097  cpu_idle
> > 14111     4.8521  enter_idle
> > 4979      1.7121  IRQ0x51_interrupt
> > 4765      1.6385  tcp_v4_rcv
>
> the pretty much only meaningful way to measure this is to:
>
> - start a really long 'ab' testrun. Something like "ab -c 8000 -t 600".
> - let the system get into 'steady state': i.e. CPU load at 100%
> - reset the oprofile counters, then start an oprofile run for 60
>   seconds.
> - stop the oprofile run.
> - stop the test.
>
> this way there wont be that many 'cpu_idle' entries in your profiles,
> and the profiles between the two event delivery mechanisms will be
> directly comparable.

They are there, since ab runs only 50k requests.
If I change it to something noticebly more than 50/80k, ab crashes:
# ab -c8000 -t 600 -n800000000 http://192.168.0.48/
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.0.40-dev <$Revision: 1.146 $> apache-2.0
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking 192.168.0.48 (be patient)
Segmentation fault

Are there any other tool suitable for such loads?
I only tested httperf (which is worse, since it uses poll/select) and
'ab'.

Btw, host machine runs 100% too, so it is possible that client side is
broken (too).

> > In that tests I got epoll perf about 4400 req/s, kevent was about
> > 5300.
>
> So we are now up to epoll being 83% of kevent's performance - while the
> noise of numbers seen today alone is around 100% ... Could you update
> the files two URLs that you posted before, with the code that you used
> for the above numbers:

And in a couple of moments I resent profile with 6100 r/s, and now
attached with 6300.

>    http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/archive/kevent/evserver_epoll.c
>    http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/archive/kevent/evserver_kevent.c

Plus http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/archive/kevent/evserver_common.c
which contains common request handling function

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov

View attachment "profile.kevent" of type "text/plain" (13547 bytes)