Date:	Fri, 02 Mar 2007 02:16:39 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	"Con Kolivas" <kernel@...ivas.org>
Subject: Re: belkin bulldog ups monitor vs 2.6.21-rc2

On Friday 02 March 2007, Con Kolivas wrote:
>On 02/03/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com> wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I just rebooted to 2.6.21-rc2 and noted that getting x up and running
>> was about 15 seconds longer than usual.  When it got a bash shell
>> going I went to it and ran htop which showed that the bulldog monitor
>> was taking 90% of the cpu.  Killed it, then restarted it, but when I
>> ran the gui which ran fine and then stopped the gui, the daemon once
>> again went hog wild and had to be killed,  and I'm losing my kmail
>> composer focus for 30 seconds at a time now that amanda is making her
>> nightly run.
>>
>> There is nothing in the log about it other than from xinetd as it ran
>> the amanda server stuff.
>>
>> Not quite ready for prime time methinks.  Using the ck scheduler, this
>> is terrible performance, virtually no multitasking.  Back to
>> 2.6.20-ck1 in the morning if it lives the rest of the night.
>
>HI Gene.
>
>I'm not sure if you're saying here that the performance is terrible on
>2.6.21-rc2 only with the -ck scheduler, or only 2.6.21-rc2, or that
>2.6.20-ck1 is terrible or that it fixes the problem.  Can you please
>clarify this?

I miss-spoke above now that I read it again, sorry Con.  I think I thought
my fingers had put 'Comparing' in front of the 'Using' above. This time
of the night, my mind has been known to be running a chapter or more
ahead of (or in some cases behind) my fingers.

2.6.20-ck1 runs great, 2.6.21-rc2 was not only a dog, it fed amanda a
bunch of lsd via bad data from tar, so tar when told to do a level 1
while 21-rc2 (without your patch) was running, it actually did a level 0,
and predictably ran out of vtape.  /usr/pix didn't change over 7GB of its
contents overnight, in fact nothing changed there yesterday, but tar sure
went on a rampage.

Sorry about the confusion.  I'm back in 2.6.20-ck1 and everythings cool.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)