Date:	Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:19:17 -0800 (PST)
From:	Christoph Lameter <clameter@...r.sgi.com>
To:	Mel Gorman <mel@...net.ie>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, npiggin@...e.de,
	mingo@...e.hu, jschopp@...tin.ibm.com, arjan@...radead.org,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, mbligh@...igh.org,
	kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related
 patches

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Mel Gorman wrote:

> However, if that is objectionable, I'd at least like to see zone-based patches
> go into -mm on the expectation that the memory hot-remove patches will be
> able to use the infrastructure. It's not ideal for hugepages and it is not my
> first preference, but it's a step in the right direction. Is this reasonable?

I still think that the list based approach is sufficient for memory
hotplug if one restricts  the location of the unmovable MAX_ORDER chunks
to not overlap the memory area where we would like to be able to remove
memory. In very pressing memory situations where we have too much
unmovable memory we could dynamically disable  memory hotplug. There
would be no need for this partitioning and additional zones.