Date:	Mon, 5 Mar 2007 01:13:26 -0600
From:	Matt Mackall <mpm@...enic.com>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	yi.zhu@...el.com, jketreno@...ux.intel.com, akpm@...l.org
Subject: Re: Recent wireless breakage (ipw2200, iwconfig, NetworkManager)

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 11:02:48PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:42:29AM -0600, Matt Mackall wrote:

> > > Do you have CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED enabled?  If not, please do as that
> > > will keep you from having to change any userspace code.
> >
> > No, it's disabled. Will test once I'm done tracking down the iwconfig
> > problem. From the help text for SYSFS_DEPRECATED:
> >
> >           If you are using a distro that was released in 2006 or
> > 	  later, it should be safe to say N here.
> >
> > If we need an as-yet-unreleased HAL without it, I would say the above
> > should be changed to 2008 or so. If Debian actually cuts a release in
> > the next few months, you might make that 2010.
>
> Well, just because Debian has such a slow release cycle, should the rest
> of the world be forced to follow suit?  :)
>
> When I originally wrote that, I thought Debian would have already done
> their release, my mistake...

That's not the point. The point is that Debian/unstable as of _this
morning_ doesn't work. For reference, I'm running both the latest
releases of both hal (0.5.8.1-6.1) and network-manager (0.6.4-6). And
there are people telling me I need a copy of HAL out of git that
hasn't even been released for Debian to package. Debian isn't the
problem here.

If it is indeed the case that HAL needs to be upgraded here, the clock
on deprecating these features can't even start counting until a usable
HAL version is released. And then you need to give it at least a year
after that before you can start recommending people disable it.