Date:	Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:12:40 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	devzero@....de
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, greg@...ah.com, pavel@...e.cz
Subject: Re: [RFC] BadRAM still not ready for inclusion ? (was: Re: Free Linux
 Driver Development!)

telling youdevzero@....de wrote:
> Hello !
>
> There's some really nice feature-patch named BadRAM at
http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/index.html for years now, being
announced around 2000 on this list, voted for inclusion in 2.3.99.

> BadRAM let's you tell the kernel to skip certain regions of ram, so
you can continue using defective modules. Some older article describing
BadRAM in more detail is at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4489

	[...snip...]

> Basically, this feature is a matter of adding/modifying 200 lines of
code, so iŽm even more wondering, why it exists for more than 7 years
and nothing happening here. I don`t know of any kernel patch which is
comparable to this.

Think about that... 200 lines of code which will have to be maintained
forever, once it becomes a supported feature, for the benefit of the few
people who can't or won't replace bad memory.

> This patch is real a ressource-saver - if being a standard Linux
feature, it will save even more ressources: Saving user's time (because
they are pulling their hair out to get this run with kernel XYZ) and
also saving CPU time (no compile orgies anymore), and thus waste of energy.

Consider one technical and one human behavour issue. While memory with
"bad spots" was common a decade ago, it's as likely with current memory
that the memory will "throw a bad bit" once in a while, on a read or
write anywhere in the marginal or bad chip. Depending on how the memory
is organized that could be 1/16th of the memory as a block of 32MB on a
512MB part, or every 16th byte in the whole memory.

As for the human issue, how many more people will use this capability to
avoid buying memory, run with only part of the bad memory detected and
blocked out, get unreliable operation, and think that Linux is unreliable.

> Please comment if someone sees chances of getting this (after years
> of
existance) into mainline and also please jump in to make the good thing
happen !

I personally think that the patch is at best a balance between benefit
and problems. As a patch I have to use deliberately I think it's a good
idea. As a permanent and default part of the kernel, I'm not convinced.
There are some patches I would love to see in mainline, like suspend2
which includes resume as well as suspend, but this is not one of them,
hope I've explained why.

As with so many other things in life, "it's not the cost but the upkeep."

> Historical patch collection at:
> http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/download.html
>
> Most recent version of BadRAM should be:
> http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/software/BadRAM-2.6.19.1.patch
>
> Sorry for being a little bit "noisy" here, but I think BadRAM is a
great feature and Linux could really benefit from that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>