Date:	Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:18:04 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Stefan Seyfried <seife@...e.de>
Cc:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>, Johannes Stezenbach <js@...uxtv.org>,
	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...lanox.co.il>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>,
	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
	Jeff Chua <jeff.chua.linux@...il.com>, linux-pm@...ts.osdl.org,
	lenb@...nel.org, linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, luming.yu@...el.com,
	Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <arekm@...en.pl>,
	Konstantin Karasyov <konstantin.a.karasyov@...el.com>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	linux-usb-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	Thomas Meyer <thomas.mey@....de>, Meelis Roos <mroos@...ux.ee>,
	Alexey Starikovskiy <alexey.y.starikovskiy@...ux.intel.com>,
	Janosch Machowinski <jmachowinski@....de>,
	vladimir.p.lebedev@...el.com,
	Ash Milsted <thatistosayiseenem@...ab.com>,
	dmitry.torokhov@...il.com
Subject: Re: [2/6] 2.6.21-rc2: known regressions

* Stefan Seyfried <seife@...e.de> wrote:

> > btw., the s2ram database seems quite a bit spotty:
> >
> >  $ ./s2ram -n
> >  Machine is unknown.
> >  This machine can be identified by:
> >      sys_vendor   = "System manufacturer"
> >      sys_product  = "System Product Name"
> >      sys_version  = "System Version"
> >      bios_version = "ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1008"
> >
> >  $ ./s2ram -n
> >  Machine is unknown.
> >  This machine can be identified by:
> >     sys_vendor   = "Hewlett-Packard "
> >     sys_product  = "compaq nx9030 (PG630ET#ABD)       "
> >     sys_version  = "Rev 1           "
> >     bios_version = "F.15    "
> >  See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.
> >
> > even at the link above i didnt find any clear algorithm about how to
> > extend the quirks-list and the white-list - while i expect that most
> > people experience what i did: that s2ram doesnt know their boxes.
> > (otherwise they would not visit that URL at all i suspect)
>
> Ok. To be honest, you are the first reporter that seems to have read
> the documentation above, but not understood what to do.

thanks for the compliment ;-) _I_ very much know what to do (i mailed
the right person after all ;), but i dont really count and on the 6
systems i tried s2ram said on 5 that it's 'unknown', i assumed it could
possibly be due to the visible lack of clear instructions on that
webpage ;-)

> i might consider reworking the documentation if there are more reports
> about problems with the procedure.

Probably tweaking the webpage doesnt help because people dont get there
- as the results plainly show it. Maybe some more automation would be
useful too, a tool that detects failed resume and tries all those
options that makes sense on that box or something? It's not like that
people dont _try_ suspend/resume on Linux, it's just that they find it
doesnt work and there is no clear mortal-usable (end-user-) way of
fixing it and submitting the result of that fixing.

	Ingo