Date:	Mon, 12 Mar 2007 01:38:37 -0400
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, amanda-hackers@...nda.org
Cc:	Con Kolivas <kernel@...ivas.org>, Matt Mackall <mpm@...enic.com>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, ck@....kolivas.org
Subject: Re: RSDL for 2.6.21-rc3- 0.29

On Sunday 11 March 2007, Con Kolivas wrote:
>On Sunday 11 March 2007 15:03, Matt Mackall wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't see significant system time while this is happening.
>>
>> Also, it's running pretty much entirely out of page cache so there
>> wouldn't be a whole lot for kernel threads to do.
>
>Well I can't reproduce that behaviour here at all whether from disk or
> the pagecache with ccache, so I'm not entirely sure what's different at
> your end. However both you and the other person reporting bad behaviour
> were using ATI drivers. That's about the only commonality? I wonder if
> they do need to yield... somewhat instead of not at all.

I hate to say it Con, but this one seems to have broken the amanda-tar
symbiosis.

I haven't tried a plain 21-rc3, so the problem may exist there, and in
fact it did for 21-rc1, but I don't recall if it was true for -rc2.  But
I will have a plain 21-rc3 running by tomorrow nights amanda run to test.

What happens is that when amanda tells tar to do a level 1 or 2, tar still
thinks its doing a level 0.  The net result is that the tape is filled
completely and amanda does an EOT exit in about 10 of my 42 dle's.  This
is tar-1.15-1 for fedora core 6.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)