Date:	Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:35:10 -0400
From:	Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>
To:	Phil Kaslo <phil@...arizona.edu>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Asus P5B-VM motherboard:  cd drive malfunctions if internal nic
 in use.

Phil Kaslo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a new machine, Asus motherboard, in which the cd drive malfunctions
> if the internal nic on the mb (RealTek RTL8168b/8111b) is actively in use.
> The cd drive, on ide2, is, as per dmesg, a Sony:
>  ide2: BM-DMA at 0xa400-0xa407, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
>  hde: SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>  hde: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(66)
>
> I've seen this on 3 of these new machines so far.  One has a LITE-ON cdrom:
>  hde: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> so this is not unique to the Sony.
>
> Motherboard:  Asus P5B-VM  G965 775  BIOS Revision : 613
> CPU: Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 1.86GHz

Is that a PATA cd-drive?  If so, then you must have hooked it up
to the JMicron IDE controller.  That driver is just plain buggy.

I gave up on it for my own P5B-VM.  The libata version works better
than the drivers/ide, but I gave up on it and got a SATA DVD/RW drive.

Off topic:  do your USB ports power off when the system shuts down?
Mine don't -- the +5V continues on them.. I'd love a tip on how to
turn them off completely at shutdown.

Cheers