Date:	Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:58:45 +0100
From:	Antoine Martin <antoine@...afix.co.uk>
To:	Blaisorblade <blaisorblade@...oo.it>
CC:	devzero@....de, user-mode-linux-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	jdike@...toit.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [uml-devel] [RFC] UML kernel & rootfs bundle with every kernel
 release ?

[...]
>> in short:
>> it`s quite some work to be done to have your uml 2.6.21 with root-fs up and
>> running and working cleanly. whenever i search the net for some appropriate
>> UML fs image, those i find are very often old and outdated...
>
> Hmm... I'd think we need a wizard for configuration. Plus some distro-like
> work for some specific issues - if I want to deploy a VM with hostname x,
> network config y, and with Xnest running, I need an easier way to do that.
I think this can be solved by having the network auto-configure itself
and make the startup scripts responsible for bringing up the interface
and starting dhcp server on that interface. This is simple and does not
require changes to the images. (it takes care of dns, ntp, smb, etc..)

> You can add settings on kernel command line and parse them inside UML - we
> need standard packaged utilities for that (one of the rootfs builder
> installed such stuff).
That would certainly complicate things quite a bit.

>> is there a project/website which is offering such ready to run "UML
>> kernel+rootfs release bundles" for download (i.e. new kernel,generic
>> root-fs, modules inside, sources inside, compiler inside - in sync with the
>> latest stable vanilla) , or , would it make sense to establish such project
>> ? i.e. besides releasing the kernel, also releasing sort of a kernel
>> "runtime kit" and/or "devkit" ?
>
> The runtime kit is there on nagafix.co.uk. The devkit is a main idea - most of
> the work is to put something on the UML wiki and market well the idea -
> creating such an image would be easy. But I haven't clear what you're talking
> about - kernel development (why sources inside) or userspace development?
>
> Also integrating all possible debug stuff would be useful, but I don't know
> what's needed.
>
>> i think this could be very helpful for linux-kernel, because it could be
>> tested by more people more quickly, more easily and thus, more often. just
>> download, do few steps for setup, start up that virtual machine and there
>> you go testing, hacking into the sources, do all that things you never
>> would do on your main system,  whatever....
>>
>> it would probably also add benefit to UML itself.
>
> We need three things:
> a) more performance
> b) more users
>
> c) more developers
>
> a) leads to c), and b) too.
>
>> does this sound dumb? i don`t know, so please comment.
>
> No, it's not dumb. I'm even wanting to have a "Vmware-like" interface. Or at
> least standard scripts for guest management.
I reckon that one critical thing which could drastically increase the
user base would be to have a working virtual framebuffer implementation.
my 2p

Cheers
Antoine