Date:	Thu, 5 Apr 2007 01:12:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>
To:	Adam Kropelin <akropel1@...hester.rr.com>
Cc:	Li Yu <raise.sail@...il.com>, yanghong@...ss.com.cn,
	linux-usb-devel <linux-usb-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	hongzhiyi@...ss.com.cn, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org>,
	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> I apologize for picking up this thread late and asking what may be a
> question with an obvious answer... Will hiddev still exist after hidraw
> and the HID bus redesign work is done? I have a widely-deployed
> userspace app that relies on hiddev, and I'm looking for reassurance
> that it will still work as it always has...

Hi Adam,

hiddev will have to stay for quite some time, exactly because of backward
compatibility with userspace applications/drivers that use it (I am not
aware of many of them though, but apparently there are some). I won't
allow it to vanish, don't worry.

We just have to make sure that new users will use hidraw instead, as it
provides more flexibility for the user, is not dependent on the underlying
transport protocol, etc.

--
Jiri Kosina