Date:	Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:43:30 +1000
From:	Nigel Cunningham <nigel@...el.suspend2.net>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
Cc:	linux-pm@...ts.osdl.org, Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@...il.com>,
Subject: Re: [linux-pm] [RFD] swsusp problem: Drivers allocate much memory
	during	suspend (was: Re: 2.6.21-rc5: swsusp: Not enough free memory)

Hi.

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 00:38 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Just increase PAGES_FOR_IO. This should not be tunable.
> >
> > If we don't have a means for drivers to pre-allocate or say how much
> > memory they need, it should be tunable. Frankly, I'm startled that you
> > guys haven't heard of this issue before now. I can't believe everyone
> > who has ever wanted to hibernate with DRM enabled has been using
> > Suspend2. Maybe this is one of the sources of complaints that swsusp
> > isn't reliable?
>
> We do not support closed-source drivers, and open-source drivers are
> well behaved.

I didn't say fglrx was the only example. Any system using DRI (not DRM,
sorry), would, I think, be expected. I just mention fglrx because I have
a Radeon 200M that can only use fglrx for Beryl etc at the mo - it's the
one I'm familiar with.

> > > Yes please. Using that notifier without leaking the memory will be
> > > "interesting" but if someone needs so much memory during suspend, let
> > > them eat their own complexity.
> >
> > It doesn't need to be that complex. Add another (optional) function to
> > the driver model to let drivers say how much they want and it becomes
> > trivial. Maybe this idea should be preferred over the notifier chain.
>
> Actually, it is trivial to prealocate during boot ;-). As the notifier
> chain can be useful for other stuff, too, I'd go that way.

Pavel! Talk sense! You're not seriously suggesting squirreling away 35
megabytes of a user's memory at boot just because they might want to
hibernate with DRI enabled later? Yes, 35 megabytes is a realistic
amount.

Regards,

Nigel

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)