Date:	Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:16:19 -0400
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...izon.net>
To:	"Pekka Enberg" <penberg@...helsinki.fi>
Cc:	"hui Bill Huey" <billh@...ppy.monkey.org>,
	"Ingo Molnar" <mingo@...e.hu>, "Con Kolivas" <kernel@...ivas.org>,
	"ck list" <ck@....kolivas.org>,
	"Peter Williams" <pwil3058@...pond.net.au>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Nick Piggin" <npiggin@...e.de>, "Mike Galbraith" <efault@....de>,
	"Arjan van de Ven" <arjan@...radead.org>,
	"Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair
 Scheduler [CFS]

On Sunday 15 April 2007, Pekka Enberg wrote:
>On 4/15/07, hui Bill Huey <billh@...ppy.monkey.org> wrote:
>> The perception here is that there is that there is this expectation that
>> sections of the Linux kernel are intentionally "churn squated" to prevent
>> any other ideas from creeping in other than of the owner of that subsytem
>
>Strangely enough, my perception is that Ingo is simply trying to
>address the issues Mike's testing discovered in RDSL and SD. It's not
>surprising Ingo made it a separate patch set as Con has repeatedly
>stated that the "problems" are in fact by design and won't be fixed.

I won't get into the middle of this just yet, not having decided which dog I
should bet on yet.  I've been running 2.6.21-rc6 + Con's 0.40 patch for about
24 hours, its been generally usable, but gzip still causes lots of 5 to 10+
second lags when its running.  I'm coming to the conclusion that gzip simply
doesn't play well with others...

Amazing to me, the cpu its using stays generally below 80%, and often below
60%, even while the kmail composer has a full sentence in its buffer that it
still hasn't shown me when I switch to the htop screen to check, and back to
the kmail screen to see if its updated yet.  The screen switch doesn't seem
to lag so I don't think renicing x would be helpfull.  Those are the obvious
lags, and I'll build & reboot to the CFS patch at some point this morning
(whats left of it that is :).  And report in due time of course

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)