Date:	Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:05:07 +1000
From:	Peter Williams <pwil3058@...pond.net.au>
To:	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair

Al Boldi wrote:
> Peter Williams wrote:
>> Al Boldi wrote:

>>> spa_svr is my favorite, but as you mentioned doesn't work well with ia.
>>> So I started instrumenting its behaviour with chew.c (attached).  What I
>>> found is that prio-levels are way to coarse.  Setting max_tpt_bonus = 3
>>> bounds this somewhat, but it was still not enough.  Looking at
>>> spa_svr_reassess_bonus and changing it to simply adjust prio based on
>>> avg_sleep did the trick like this:
>>>
>>> static void spa_svr_reassess_bonus(struct task_struct *p)
>>> {
>>> 	if (p->sdu.spa.avg_sleep_per_cycle >> 10) {
>>> 		incr_throughput_bonus(p, 1);
>>> 	} else
>>> 		decr_throughput_bonus(p);
>>> }
>> I suspect that this would kill some of the good server performance as it
>> removes the mechanism that minimises wait time.  It is effectively just
>> a simplification of what the vanilla O(1) scheduler tries to do i.e.
>> assume tasks that sleep a lot are interactive and give them a boost.
>>
>> spa_ws tries to do this as well only in a bit more complicated fashion.
>>   So maybe an spa_svr modified in this way and renamed could make a good
>> interactive scheduler.
>
> Great!
>
> Reducing the prio-level granularity may also be helpful;

Because of some of the bit operations code makes it a bad idea to have
more than 160 priority levels, you're more or less limited to 60
priority levels for SCHED_OTHER tasks (as 100 are used for real time)
and you need 40 of these to pay some attention to niceness leaving you
about 20 priority levels to use for fiddling.  Is that enough?

With spa_ebs (now that CPU rate caps have been removed), you have all 60
priorities available for fiddling with as niceness is taken care of when
calculating each task's entitlement.

> or maybe even make
> it adjustable?  Any easy way to introduce something like this?

As long as sysfs remains available it should be fairly easy.  Although
replacing constants with variables (which may be necessary) has
space/time overhead implications but they would probably be insignificant.

Peter
-
Peter Williams                                   pwil3058@...pond.net.au

  -- Ambrose Bierce