Date:	Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:41:40 -0400
From:	Mark Lord <liml@....ca>
To:	emisca <emisca.ml@...il.com>
Cc:	Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@...hat.com>,
	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ux01.gwdg.de>,
	Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@...il.com>,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>
Subject: Re: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot

emisca wrote:
> I can confirm this, I have a Seagate Momentus 5400.3 sata disk, and it
> spins off, respin up and again off when I halt my notebook.
> I had before this disk an IBM/Hitachi one, and it doesn't have this
> behaviour.
>
> Take a look at this bug report:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/67810
>
> There are some references and some patches against 2.6.20 kernel. This
> bug is confirmed there.

Yup.  Last I heard, Tejun has fixed this, and queued the code
for 2.6.22 via James B.   But this could be considered a rather
nasty regression in 2.6.21, in that it does seem to cause
significant and unnecessary wear and tear on the drive mechanisms.

I'll patch it locally on my own machines, but what about the tens
of thousands of other Seagate notebook drive owners out there?

Cheers