Date:	Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:15:31 +0200
From:	"Stefan Prechtel" <stefan.prechtel@...glemail.com>
To:	"Mircea Bardac" <dev.list@...cea.bardac.net>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Rusty Russell" <rusty@...tycorp.com.au>,
	"Srivatsa Vaddagiri" <vatsa@...ibm.com>,
	"Zwane Mwaikambo" <zwane@....linux.org.uk>,
	"Ashok Raj" <ashok.raj@...el.com>
Subject: Re: CPU off-on-off: lost CPU management?

Hello,

I have the same "problems" with CPU-Hotplug. Whenever I turn off the
second core and turn it back on, /proc/cpuinfo shows that the second
core is on, but at a different speed.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 72
model name      : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 800.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
extapic cr8legacy ts fid vid ttp tm stc
bogomips        : 1596.96
clflush size    : 64

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 72
model name      : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1995.071
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
extapic cr8legacy ts fid vid ttp tm stc
bogomips        : 3990.71
clflush size    : 64

dmesg shows the following after resume from s2disk (only the first
time, then "CPU: Vendor unknown../Your system my be unstable" doesn't
appear):

Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
Cannot set affinity for irq 0
CPU 1 is now offline
SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
CPU1 is down
Intel machine check architecture supported.
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
Enabling non-boot CPUs ...
SMP alternatives: switching to SMP code
Booting processor 1/1 eip 3000
Initializing CPU#1
Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3990.61 BogoMIPS (lpj=1995306)
CPU: Vendor unknown, using generic init.
CPU: Your system may be unstable.
CPU: After generic identify, caps: 178bfbff ebd3fbff 00000000 00000000
00002001 00000000 0000001f
CPU: After all inits, caps: 178bfbff ebd3fbff 00000000 00000000
00002001 00000000 0000001f
CPU1: AuthenticAMD AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 stepping 02
CPU1 is up
Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 1

But I don't noticed a shorter batterylife or more cpu hotness, so I
think the second core is running at the same speed as CPU0 and
/proc/cpuinfo (and possibly other files) doesn't update correctly.

Regards,
Stefan