Date:	Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:23:57 +0530
From:	"Madhusudhan c" <cr.madhusudhan@...il.com>
To:	"Pierre Ossman" <drzeus@...eus.cx>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, philipl@...rt.org
Subject: Re: MMCv4 support (8-bit support missing)

Hi Perre/Philip,

> Feel free to add me as cc in the future if you want me to notice your mail ;)
Sure. In fact I looked around to find your email id and did not find
it. In future I will include you in cc.

> We haven't determined it as necessary, and as Philip commented, most (if not
> all) controllers cannot properly support the test.
The MMCA spec 4.1 has the below two lines of explaination in the Bus
testing procedure section.

1. "The data pattern sent by the host may optionally include a CRC16
checksum, which is ignored by the card."
2. "The reverse data pattern sent by the card may optionally include a
CRC16 checksum, which is ignored by the host."

I faced a simillar problem as philip mentioned on our hardware. I used
to see failures on CMD19. I used to get a "Data timeout" interrupt.
After speaking to our hardware folks, we got it working. The hardware
folks suggested me to do a soft reset of the data lines upon receiving
the DTO for CMD19.Our controller has a bit in the MMC registers to
soft reset the data lines. It solved the problem. So I expect their
may be simillar stuff on other controllers as well.

Kyung-ju Hyun from samsung had submitted a patch for MMCPlus support
long back, which had the bus testing procedure implemented and it
works fine. I am able to write and read the data pattern back
successfuly with his patch. I am not sure why his patch was not
integrated into the main line kernel.

Why should we be bothered about how controllers respond at the MMC
core level. We need to just implement what specification says and
leave the controller handling part to the controller driver. Am I
correct?

Regards,
Madhusudhan