Date:	Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:03:21 +0200
From:	Roland Kuhn <rkuhn@....physik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>
Cc:	Thiemo.Nagel@...tum.de,
	linuxkernel Org <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [OOPS] 2.6.21-rc6-git5 in cfq_dispatch_insert

Hi Jens!

On 24 Apr 2007, at 14:32, Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24 2007, Roland Kuhn wrote:
>> Hi Jens!
>>
>> [I made a typo in the Cc: list so that lkml is only included as of
>> now. Actually I copied the typo from you ;-) ]
>
> Well no, you started the typo, I merely propagated it and forgot to
> fix
> it up :-)

Actually, I copied it from your printk() ;-) (thinking helps...)

>>> And what are the nature of the files on the raid (huge, small, ?)
>>> and
>>> what are the client(s) doing? Just approximately, I know these
>>> things
>>> can be hard/difficult/impossible to specify.
>>>
>> The files are 100-400MB in size and the client is merging them into a
>> new file in the same directory using the ROOT library, which does in
>> essence alternating sequences of
>>
>> _llseek(somewhere)
>> read(n bytes)
>> _llseek(somewhere+n)
>> read(m bytes)
>>
>> and then
>>
>> _llseek(somewhere)
>> rt_sigaction(ignore INT)
>> write(n bytes)
>> rt_sigaction(INT->DFL)
>> time()
>> _llseek(somewhere+n)
>>
>> where n is of the the order of 30kB. The input files are treated
>> sequentially, not randomly.
>
> Ok, I'll see if I can reproduce it. No luck so far, I'm afraid.

Too bad.

>> BTW: the machine just stopped dead, no sign whatsoever on console or
>> netconsole, so I rebooted with elevator=deadline
>> (need to get some work done besides ;-) )
>
> Unfortunately expected, if we can race and lose an update to -
> >next_rq,
> we can race and corrupt some of the internal data structures as
> well. If
> you have the time and inclination, it would be interesting to see
> if you
> can reproduce with some debugging options enabled:
>
> - Enable all preempt, spinlock and lockdep debugging measures
> - Possibly slab poisoning, although that may slow you down somewhat

Kernel compilation under way, will report back.

> Are you using 4kb stacks?

No idea, 'grep -i stack .config' gives no indication, but ISTR that
4k was made the default some time back?

Ciao,
                     Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str., 85748 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12575; Telefax 089/289-12570

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4324 bytes)

Download attachment "PGP.sig" of type "application/pgp-signature" (187 bytes)