Date:	Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:25:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:	William Heimbigner <icxcnika@....tar.cc>
To:	Michal Piotrowski <michal.k.k.piotrowski@...il.com>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: cpufreq default governor

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> On 24/04/07, William Heimbigner <icxcnika@....tar.cc> wrote:

>> >  I didn't say that cpufreq ondemand is broken. It's a hardware problem.

>> >  Yes, something like that.
>>
>>  Is it actually "not working" though, even at the hardware level?
>
> It works, but for me this sounds are very weird ;)
>
>>  To my
>>  knowledge those noises are normal, and aren't even signs of a harware
>>  problem. I believe it is the natural result of changing frequencies at any
>>  time. If you change frequencies, especially in the low end of available
>>  frequencies, you should hear a very brief noise. A governor such as
>>  ondemand, which is rapidly switching the frequency from say, 333 MHz to
>>  2.66 GHz, is likely to make this much more noticable.
>
> Ok, it might be normal behavior. I might be wrong, but IMO users
> prefer speed and no strange sounds as default setting.

I agree! My suggestion, however, is that if they do want a different
scheduler as the default, they can choose one.

There are some cases in which this could be very useful. A couple examples
would be the processor with poor cooling that overheats easily, or a
laptop with a poor battery.

However, on second thought with regards to Kconfig, would it be feasible
to have performance always be the default, unless a
"cpufreqgov=conservative" arguement was specified on the command line?

This would be less susceptible to users complaining that their cpu is
chirping all of a sudden.

William Heimbigner
icxcnika@....tar.cc