Date:	Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:00:20 +0100
From:	Jon Burgess <jburgess777@...glemail.com>
To:	Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@...il.com>
Cc:	Gregoire Favre <Gregoire.Favre@...il.com>, linux-dvb@...uxtv.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Re: More than 2Gb problem (dvb related) ?

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 22:46 +0200, Markus Rechberger wrote:
> just for the completeness, what does dmesg show up?
> You forgot to mention what device you have too...
>
> Markus
>
> On 4/27/07, Gregoire Favre <Gregoire.Favre@...il.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a computer (mother Asus Commando) with 4x1Gb Ram.
> >
> > If I start without the BIOS remap memory, my BIOS and linux just see 2Gb
> > of ram, and DVB apps works just great.
> >
> > When I enable the remapping of the memory, my BIOS and linux just see
> > the whole 4Gb but then, I can tune to any transponder without problem,
> > but I am unable to get a TS...
> >
> > I have tested it with vdr/kaffeine/mplayer.
> >
> > szap/kaffeine/vdr get the lock just well.
> >
> > I had already asked about this on just linux-dvb ml, but maybe I am the
> > first one to try DVB with a system with more than 2 Gb as I didn't
> > receive any further info as someone get it working or not with such
> > amount of ram.
> >
> > Anyone got an idea on what could be done to solve this issue ?
> >
> > PLEASE CC to me all message in lkml as I am not subscribed to this ml :)
> > --
> > Grégoire FAVRE  http://gregoire.favre.googlepages.com  http://www.gnupg.org
> >                http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregoire.Favre
> > -

Interesting - I see similar symptoms after upgrading my PC:
* old PC was AMD Athlon 64 3000 w/ 2GB of RAM which had no issues
* new PC is a Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB of RAM and fails in the way you
describe.

I have a Nova-T PCI using the budget-ci driver which I have been using
successfully for several years.

When the problem occurs the card tunes OK and even generates interrupts
at a normal rate - just no data reaches dvr0.

If I reload the driver multiple times it works some of the time. It
seems to work more reliably if I reload the driver while the machine is
under some other load, e.g. run "find /" in one window while performing
the following:

# modprobe -r budget_ci; sleep 1; modprobe budget_ci
$ tzap -r "BBC One"
$ cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

if no random data appears repeat the modprobe and try again.

Since i've upgraded the whole of the machine it could be due to any
number of factors (RAM, CPU, SMP, Chipset ...).

The boot log is attached.

	Jon

View attachment "bootlog.txt" of type "text/plain" (29009 bytes)