Date:	Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:29:45 -0400
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	Linux Kernel M/L <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: [REPORT] 2.6.21 vs. 2.6.21-sd046 vs. 2.6.21-CFSv7

System: Intel 6600 Core2duo, 2GB RAM, X nice 0 for all tests, display
using i945G framebuffer

Test: playing a 'toon with mplayer while kernel build -j20 running.

Tuning: not yet, all scheduler parameters were default

Result: base 2.6.21 showed some pauses and after the pause the sound got
louder for a short time (<500ms). With sd-0.46 the playback had many
glitches and finally just stopped with the display looping on a small
number of frames and no sound. The skips were repeatable, the hang was
only two of five runs, I didn't let them go until the make finished
(todo list) but killed the mplayer after 10-15 sec. No glitches observed
with cfsv7, I thought I saw one but repeating with granularity set to
500000 and then with no make running convinced me that it's just a
crappy piece of animation at that point.

I ran glxgears, again sd-0.46 had frequent pauses and uneven fps
reported. Stock 2.6.21 had a visible pause when the frame rate was
output, otherwise minimal pauses. CFSv7 appeared smooth at about 250 fps.

All tests gave acceptable typing echo, it seems that X is getting enough
time at that load to echo without major issues.

I will be doing tests with server load later this week, have to add disk
for the database.

Hope this initial report is useful, I may be able to update ctxbench
later today and try that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>