Date:	Tue, 01 May 2007 12:33:08 -0500
From:	"Steve French (smfltc)" <smfltc@...ibm.com>
To:	linux-cifs-client@...ts.samba.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	jengelh@...ux01.gwdg.de
Subject: Re: linux-cifs-client Digest, Vol 42, Issue 1

> what also puzzles me... almost every filesystem that's not at revision 1
> anymore (ext2/3/4, reiser4, smb2) does not have the usually omnipresent "fs"
> suffix anymore (cf. reiserfs, smbfs).
> Maybe it's time to drop all the "fs" suffixes?  :)

For the case of cifs (and nfs and afs) the "fs" is part of the name of
the protocol ("common internet file system [protocol]") but for the
other filesystems I agree that it seems redundant to put "fs" in the
name (with a few exceptions e.g. "GFS2" would sound strange if named
"G2" or "global2", and OCFS2 is presumably a product name).