Date:	Wed, 2 May 2007 10:13:56 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
Cc:	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Con Kolivas <kernel@...ivas.org>,
	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	Peter Williams <pwil3058@...pond.net.au>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>, caglar@...dus.org.tr,
	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>, Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>,
	Zach Carter <linux@...hcarter.com>,
	buddabrod <buddabrod@...il.com>, Balbir Singh <balbir@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v8

* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com> wrote:

> > I noticed a (harmless) bounds warning triggered by the reduction in
> > size of array->bitmap.  Patchlet below.
>
> I just checked my logs, and it appears my workload didn't trigger this
> one Mike. [...]

yeah: this is a build-time warning and it needs a newer/smarter gcc to
notice that provably redundant piece of code. It's a harmless thing -
but nevertheless Mike's fix is a nice little micro-optimization as well:
it always bothered me a bit that at 140 priority levels we were _just_
past the 128 bits boundary by 12 bits. Now on 64-bit boxes it's just two
64-bit words to cover all 100 priority levels of RT tasks.

> [...]  And so far, v8 is working great here.  And that great is in my
> best "Tony the Tiger" voice, stolen shamelessly from the breakfast
> cereal tv commercial of 30+ years ago. :)

heh :-)

> Ingo asked for a 0-100 rating, where 0 is mainline as I recall it, and
> 100 is the best of the breed.  I'll give this one a 100 till something
> better shows up.

nice - and you arent even using any OpenGL games ;)

The 0-100 rating is really useful to me so that i can see the impact of
regressions (if any) and it's also one single number representing the
subjective impression - that way it's easier to keep tab of things.

btw., do you still renice kmail slightly, or does it now work out of box
with default nice 0?

	Ingo