Date:	Tue, 08 May 2007 11:42:08 +0200
From:	Rene Herman <rene.herman@...il.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>
CC:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: New Mitsumi legacy CD-ROM driver

Good day.

This is (the start of) a new driver for the legacy Mitsumi CD-ROM (LU-00xS
and FX-001x) drives that used to be supported by drivers/cdrom/mcd(x).c, a
driver that hasn't worked for a long time.

It's being tested on my LU-005S and is being submitted to -mm in the hope of
maybe finding a few more testers and also in the hope of provoking a review.
I'm co-authoring this with Pekka Enberg but certainly for me it's the first
ever contact with anything having anything to do with block.

A few specific points/questions:

* This driver's core transfer function is doing:

   rq_for_each_bio(bio, req)
       bio_for_each_segment(bvec, bio, segno) {
           buffer = bvec_kmap_irq(bvec, &flags);
           ioread8_rep(ioaddr, buffer, bvec->bv_len);
           bvec_kunmap_irq(buffer, &flags);
       }

I've been slightly worried about struct bio having a bi_sector field. If
we're not guaranteed that bio[n].bi_sector == bio[n-1].bi_sector + 1 during
the rq_for_each_bio() loop we can't read from I/O into bio's directly but
will need to use a temporary buffer and transfer into the bio's later. Is
this guaranteed?

* This driver purports to support highmem. Given the number of machines out
there that have both a Mitsumi legacy CD-ROM drive and enough physical
memory installed to want highmem support this may come across as being
overly... optimistic but is there much point to not supporting it? I believe
we do always need the full rq_for_each_bio/bio_for_each_segment loop meaning
that only the bvec_k{,un}map_irq could go, right?

* Some controllers do not support an IRQ; ading polled operation will not be
hard. Some other controllers support DMA and I'll try and get one going and
add that later as well.

* The hardware communication (mitsumi_{read,write}_cmd) can be improved
upon. It was mostly taken from the old mcdx driver but every user is calling
mitsumi_read_cmd with a 1 byte command, noone cares for the returned status
and using MITSUMI_CMD #defines instead of spraying literals around as this
is doing would be a bit nicer. This is subject to a later patch when all
user's have been introduced though.

* All timeouts are up for grabs as well. Currently everything is using
whole-second resolution timeouts but I'll need to instrument this a bit
(preferabbly on more hardware samples than just my own) to see what makes
sense. The current timeouts are mostly from the old driver.

* The next thing will be adding audio support to the driver. In fact, some
parts were present already but have been deleted for now again to not muddy
up the driver for review purposes. Some choices in there such as keeping the
toc around as an array of struct cdrom_tocentry have been made with adding
back mitsumi_audio_ioctl() in mind though and audio should prove relatively
painless.

The plan...

Ofcourse not many have these old drives around anymore and even people that
do aren't guaranteed to run 2.6 on the machines that host them. All legacy
CD-ROM drivers in drivers/cdrom that I've looked at are and have been for
quite some time broken and most do not serve a purpose anymore.

Mitsumi (mcdx, this driver), panasonic (sbpcd) and sony (cdu31a) are
somewhat of an exception in so far that controllers for those three are
still around on a lot of old ISA soundcards though. Moreover, I have the
drives to test that trio so after this mitsumi driver is complete and in
good shape I'll do the other two as well.

A few Media Vision based ISA soundcards have Philips CM206 controllers
sitting on them and I may want to try and locate a matching drive for that
but the rest is probably not useful to anyone for any purpose anymore and
I'll submit a patch removing them when the ones that I want to keep are done.

Comments welcome...

Rene.

View attachment "mitsumi.diff" of type "text/plain" (20410 bytes)