Date:	Tue, 08 May 2007 18:21:18 +0200
From:	Bodo Eggert <7eggert@....de>
To:	Albert Cahalan <acahalan@...il.com>, arvidjaar@...l.ru,
	hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	hpa@...or.com
Subject: Re: Long file names in VFAT broken with iocharset=utf8

Albert Cahalan <acahalan@...il.com> wrote:

[...]
> At two bytes per character, you get 127 characters in a filename.
> That's wider than the standard 80-column display, and far wider
> than the 28 or 29 characters that an "ls -l" has room for. In a
> GUI file manager or file dialog box, you'll have to scroll sideways.
> In a web browser directory listing, you'll almost certainly have
> to scroll sideways. Must of this even applies to Windows tools.
>
> In other words, this is user error. Somebody thought that a filename
> was a place to store a document, probably a README file. What next,
> shall we MIME-encode an icon into the filename?

I've got a music file where the artist name is 113 characters long, if I use
an abbreviation.

> Fix: the vfat driver should use the 8.3 name for such files.

Let's port that to ext3! I wantet the system to rename my files into
abcd~123.ext for all my life! NOT!
--
If at first you don't succeed call in an air-strike.

Friß, Spammer: fMxJx@...X.7eggert.dyndns.org qexHpj@...Ka.7eggert.dyndns.org
 e@...uTc.7eggert.dyndns.org Q-Bms1F@...7eggert.dyndns.org