Date:	Tue, 08 May 2007 14:41:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org
Cc:	cornelia.huck@...ibm.com, bunk@...sta.de, greg@...ah.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Please revert 5adc55da4a7758021bcc374904b0f8b076508a11
 (PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE)

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 13:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

> In fact, there is nothing wrong with having *both* a synchronous part, and
> an async part:
>
> 	.probe = mydriver_setup,
> 	.probe_async = mydriver_spin_up_and_probe_devices,
> Hmm? Would something like this work? I dunno, but it seems a hell of a lot
> safer and more capable than the aborted PCI multithreaded probing that was
> an "all or nothing" approach.

I definitely agree that we need a transitonary approach to this.

Although I kind of preferred the idea you mentioned where the
device could launch the asynchronous probe and just return from
the normal ->probe() immediately.

This might get tricky if the callers do some kind of reference
counting or other resource management based upon the ->probe()
return value since it wouldn't know what happened to the
launched asynchronous probe when it returns from ->probe().