Date:	Thu, 10 May 2007 15:00:05 -0700
From:	Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@...p.org>
To:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
CC:	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>, Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>,
	virtualization@...ts.osdl.org, lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Chris Wright <chrisw@...s-sol.org>,
	Ian Pratt <ian.pratt@...source.com>,
	Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@...cam.ac.uk>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminge@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Subject: Re: [1/2] [NET] link_watch: Move link watch list into net_device

Herbert Xu wrote:
> [NET] link_watch: Move link watch list into net_device
>
> These days the link watch mechanism is an integral part of the
> network subsystem as it manages the carrier status.  So it now
> makes sense to allocate some memory for it in net_device rather
> than allocating it on demand.

I think there's a problem with one of these two patches.  I've been
noticing that one of my events/X threads has been going into a spin for
about 5 mins after boot.  I added some debugging to
kernel/workqueue.c:run_workqueue, since its that loop which seems to be
spinning due to list corruption.

When I look to see if that loop has iterated for more than 100 times in
one go (which seems unlikely),  I get this:

BUG: cpu 3, count=101 list screwup on c04babe4, func c03217e8
func=linkwatch_event+0x0/0x2a
 [<c0109173>] show_trace_log_lvl+0x1a/0x30
 [<c0109c7f>] show_trace+0x12/0x14
 [<c0109d0c>] dump_stack+0x16/0x18
 [<c0137c25>] run_workqueue+0x97/0x18c
 [<c01386a4>] worker_thread+0xe5/0xf5
 [<c013afe9>] kthread+0x3b/0x62
 [<c0108d47>] kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10